Last week, I got an amazing gift.
My project at DonorsChoose was fully funded and sent to me! It wasn’t anything fancy; my school district had already provided the fancy. We have 20 iPads to use with our newest arrivals, to help them learn English and demonstrate what they know.
The problem was that we were keeping them in a 2-drawer file cabinet with a hole cut in the top for the charging cords to come out. Crazy. It was functional, but not really.
IPads came unplugged, and then when students tried to go back to the iPad they were using the day before to finish their project, there was no juice. The drawers got HOT because all those plugs and wires had nowhere to go.
So through the generosity of some incredible donors, I got a cabinet. It houses 30 iPads. It is very cool.
But the problem with items sent from warehouses is that assembly is required.
In step my lovely TAs. They were AWESOME! Hand them a paperclip, and they can fix almost anything. At the beginning of the period, I handed them some somewhat scary-looking directions with pictures for directions. I handed them the borrowed pair of pliers. And then they went to work.
They attached wheels and handles and then put all my iPads in the cart, all before the bell rang at the end of the day.
So cool, these young people. If given the right resources and a little direction, they can really make things happen!